Email marketing can be very effective for promoting your business. It is a tricky area though and it is easy to make common email marketing mistakes if you don’t know the right methods to use.
This can be frustrating for you as it will cost you money yet not generate any additional sales.
Here are some common email marketing mistakes and pitfalls you need to be aware of. It will make your marketing strategies more effective.
1. Take the time to address each email personally.
Consumers want to feel like they are a person to your business, not just a statistic. It is more expensive, but it is more effective. You will get a much better response.
2. Don’t use dollar signs in your email marketing campaign.
It is turn off to consumers who view it as you only want their money.
3. Don’t use email marketing during the holidays.
Customers are flooded with them and yours won’t stand out. People are too busy and stressed to relax and read email that is not personal or important at this time of year. If you want to market for the holidays then you need to do it early at least before Thanksgiving.
4. Your email message needs to jump out at them the moment they open it.
Consumers don’t have a lot of patience! Put the most enticing information first with the other details further down. They are more likely to read the entire email message if you get their attention from the start. As each consumer is different, so is their computer set up and the type of program they use.
5. Don’t assume the email will open up the same in every type of email service.
You will need to test it out for each popular email service.
6. Always give the consumer the option of opening the email in either HTML or plain text.
7. Confidentiality is very important to consumers.
Make sure your email sign up form clearly states that you will not sell their information and that it will be kept confidential and secure. You will be surprised how many people won’t sign up for your email promotions if you don’t offer this bit of information.
8. There are rules and regulations out there regarding what you can and can’t do when it comes to email marketing.
Make sure you are familiar with those laws. They vary by country so if you do global marketing make sure you check the regulations for each area you will be sending them to. Failure to do so can lead to huge fines for your business.
9. DO NOT send unsolicited emails to people if they never signed up to receive information from you.
Harvesting email addresses and spamming people is very hazardous action and is prohibited by all internatioanl and local regulations.
10. Don’t make the mistake of thinking you know what your consumers want.
If you really want to know what they are after then take the time to ask. Be open to their comments, questions,
suggestions, and concerns. Letting them know you are available for such customer service is a great way to earn their loyalty. It is easy to sell something to a consumer but much harder to please them so they will come back again and again.
11. If you are new to email marketing
Take the time to learn about this marketing tool or consult a specialist in marketing. This will make the entire process flow easier for you as well as yield better results. Take the time to research the consultant before using them.
12. Make sure your emails have an unsubscribe link.
You don’t want unhappy subscribers to your email marketing campaigns. The laws require you to offer a link where customers can unsubscribe. While you want to do all you can to keep them reading your emails, it is important to respect their wishes and remove them from the mailing list immediately. They will become very frustrated if they continue to receive them once they have asked to be removed. It can cost you their future business.
13. Avoid single opt-in. Use Double Opt-in
Although single opt-in is not quite illegal in all the countries, most of the countries regulations require to have the confirmation from the receiver that they requested any information from you. It is a misconception among the average marketers that a double opt-in will make them loose subscribers. Nothing more wrong than this.
When someone fills in a sign up form, and has to confirm by going to the Inbox, will have at least 4 major advantages:
14. Do not flood the subscriber inbox with too many emails sent in a very short time span.
It`s annoying for the subscribers and may lead to unsubscribing. Thus, to potential sales loss. The email marketing and autoresponder systems have the option to set the days interval between the sent emails. Best practice is to set a 2-3 days minimum interval between emails sent to your subscribers.
15. Make sure your welcome email comes instantly.
A delay will cost you not only the subscriber disappointment but also potential sales.
Email marketing can be effective for your business if apply the best practices and avoid these common mistakes from becoming part of your marketing plan.